Other recent vintages:  2020   2017  

This Grenache is grown on a small plot in the Fijndraai hills, a few kilometers from the maritime influence of False Bay. The wine is light, fresh, and approachable. A youthful, deep ruby in color, with good intensity on account of the low production per vine. On the nose there is a distinctive floral fleshy fruit quality intensified by black pepper, spice and a sanguine note. The palate is medium bodied with intense crushed dark fruit, peppery spiciness and an intricate fairy-dust like tannic structure.

  • South Africa    Coastal Region    Stellenbosch
  • 100%
  • Alcohol
  • Certified sustainable
  • Natural wine
  • Oak
      40% matured 12 months in French oak
  • Production
      300 cases
  • Residual sugar
      2.1 g/l
  • Vegan
  • Award
      90 points, Wine Enthusiast
  • Award
      92 points, Platter's South African Wine Guide

<p>Trellised vines allow Chris to precisely manage the canopy to enhance the wine's complexity and balance. The small crop is harvested at modest sugar levels but at full flavour-ripeness to ensure moderate alcohol, bright acidity, freshness, and fruit expression.</p> <p> Hand harvested and cooled overnight, the grapes are partially de-stemmed and crushed with some whole berries and bunches remaining. The first stage of fermentation is un-innoculated, with a neutral Rhône strain inoculated later to complete fermentation. Only 40% of the free run juice is barrel-aged in French oak, the remaining 60% is aged in cement tanks.</p>